Sunday, March 14, 2010

Thanksgiving isn't a Holiday in November

Yesterday I was involved in a car accident. I wasn't at fault and I was not hurt. I learned some things that I'll hopefully never need to know like to take photos of ALL vehicles involved in the accident (I took photos of my car); get insurance and drivers license information, as well as contact (mobile and home numbers and address) of all persons involved. I learned how valuable it is to have a witness to the incident and the value of having that witness take the time to pull over and give his information for my use. I also learned that I should have called the police while the other driver was still there in order to file a report.

Without going into too many details, I still have a lot of things to take care of before the 'accident' is over. Phone calls, rental car, emails, checking car values, loss of time and just plain inconvenience of all the work that goes into resolving the claim.

However, in the midst of all that annoyance, I am very thankful. I am thankful I was driving the larger vehicle. I am thankful that no one was hurt (including, apparently the other driver). I am thankful that I didn't have a car full of children as I usually do in the midst of my daily running around. I am thankful for friends I could call to help out and for the friends that called to make sure I was okay. I am thankful for a cell phone that I could use to call all the numbers I needed to call in order to file the claim, let my husband know I was okay, arrange for my son to get a ride home from baseball practice and call the police.

I think I need to learn to be thankful for many of the things I take for granted on a daily basis, instead of always looking at the 'bad' things in my day. Both my husband and I are employed and we are able to pay our bills (even if we do spend more than we should). We have healthy children and live in a home that is sound, in a good neighborhood and close to our friends. Our friends that live near and far truly care for us (and we for them). And, I have a God that has a plan for my life, even when I can't see the purpose in what's happening.

Thanksgiving needs to be a daily thing, don't you think?

No comments: