Thursday, March 25, 2010

Aging out

I have four children, ranging in age from 11 to 32.  I also have two grandchildren, 6 years and 3 months.  And, I was a child (although a very long time ago according to my youngest children).

I'm sure every child has at one point in their tortured existence as a not-yet-adult has complained "I can't wait to be an adult and do everything I want to do!".  Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Clause.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/17/hicks-at-26-its-time-to-be-real-adult/?page=2

According to President Obama's new healthcare bill, unmarried *children* under the age of 26 are eligible to be covered under their parents health insurance.  This radical mother (article above) actually suggests that she thinks they are old enough by 21 to be an adult in a real adult world.  Going to college, getting a job (or three), having a car, paying your own bills, incurring credit card debt up the wahoo.

So in a world of ever increasing dependency, our government has created yet another class of peoples that will be beholden to the handout.  Terrific.  And here i've been trying to teach my children to be more self-reliant and responsible.  After all, why get a job that pays good money and has a benefits package (that would be insurance coverage for those of you under 26) when you can live at home and sponge off your parents for a few more years?  I'm sure your parents have nothing else to do with that money -- that would be the money they're paying in taxes, groceries, utilities and other expenses while you continue to live under their roof.

Some things kids get that parent's (adults) don't: 
  • Eat dessert.  Sometimes LOTS of dessert.  And never count a calorie or worry about high blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes.
  • Take naps.  Usually this is mandatory until the age of 5 or 6 in my house.
  • Play outside (or inside) all day.  No laundry or cooking or dishes or cleaning.
  • Have a pet that someone else takes care of.  Daily.
  • Sleep in on weekends.
  • Full-time chauffeur at your beck-and-call 24/7/365.
So add to the list of things you can do as an adult (that you couldn't do as a kid):  Live at home for another several years and let the "adults" pay your way.

Parents around the country, let's join hands, sing Kum-bay-ah and cheer for our victory.  Our children will never grow up.

2 comments:

Into The Fire said...

When I was 26 I was married and a homeowner.

Even if I hadn't been married, I'd had a job for 4 years. It took me approx 2 weeks from graduating college to find a job, with benefits. Was it my "dream" job? No. was it a "good" job? It paid me a salary. And benefits.

There was a discussion on this on my FB page yesterday and someone made the point "What if you're still in school at 26"? IF that is the case--and, let's face it, that's a very small percentage of 26 year olds--then I'm ok with a FULL TIME student getting mom and dad's benefits. I think. But if you're just a perpetual sloth at age 26? Grow up and get a job.

Paige Norman said...

i don't have an issue with parents being able to cover college kids (even if they don't live with mom and dad) so they can do their best at college without having to work full time and college too. I don't have an issue with kids having coverage; but as your FB comment said yesterday, there is a point and time to grow up.