Thursday, March 25, 2010

The American's Creed and Citizenship

The American's Creed
by William Tyler Page

"I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. “I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.”

NOTE: William Tyler Page, Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives, wrote “The American's Creed” in 1917. It was accepted by the House on behalf of the American people on April 3, 1918.

William Tyler Page, of Friendship Heights, Maryland, gave to the citizens of his country, The American's Creed. Mr. Page described it as "a summing up, in one hundred words, of the basic principles of American political faith."
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vafccdar/darcreed.html

History of The American's Creed
by Marguerite Courtright Patton

~*~ Documented phrases in The American's Creed ~*~
  •  "The United States of America." -- Preamble, Constitution of the United States.
  • "A Government of the people, by the people, for the people." -- Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
  • "Whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed." -- Declaration of Independence.
  • "A sovereign Nation of many sovereign States." -- Drawn from Article IV of the Constitution.
  • "A perfect Union." -- Preamble to the Constitution.
  • "One and inseparable." -- Daniel Webster.
  • "Established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes." -- Derived from Declaration of Independence.
  • "I therefore believe it is my duty to my Country to love it." -- In substance from Edward Everett Hale's "The Man Without a Country."
  • "To obey its laws." -- Compiled from Article VI, Constitution of the United States.
 I ran across this today in my search across the web. I had not, to my knowledge, EVER heard it before (of course it's been a long time since High School history classes...)

In researching this, I find the pledge of Citizenship reads:  "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

There are caveats regarding the Citizenship pledge (for instance, you don't have to say "so help me God").  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_States)

I wonder how irritable people would be if we recited one (or both) of these two pledges in replacement of the Pledge of Allegiance.  How many of you (us) would pick this apart as the Pledge of Allegiance is picked apart?

For instance...I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.  Does this mean dual citizenship is prohibited? 

'I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic'  If there are enemies of our country -- within or without -- we are to defend our country above all.
'I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same'  (the Constitution).  Swear your allegiance to our country and constitution -- I dare you.  
'I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law' 2nd amendment laws are not the bad guy here.  Guns don't kill people....

'I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law'  military service is compulsory -- would you fight, and possibly die, if your country asked you to?  Or are you embarrassed by our history of people fighting for freedom?  The freedoms you have every day?
 
'take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion'  you're not coerced to be a citizen.  If you don't want to live here and follow the rules above, you don't have to.  But you don't get the 'prizes' for playing, either.

So, what does being a 'citizen' of the country mean?   Wikipedia defines Citizenship  as "the state of being a citizen of a particular social, political, or national community."   It continues, "Citizenship status, under social contract theory, carries with it both rights and responsibilities. "Active citizenship" is the philosophy that citizens should work towards the betterment of their community through economic participation, public service, volunteer work, and other such efforts to improve life for all citizens. In this vein, schools in some countries provide citizenship education."

Some of the "Benefits" of being a Citizen are:

The Right to Vote.  As far as I'm concerned if you have the ability to vote, you are obligated to vote.  Right or wrong, even if you don't know who to vote for, even if you don't like the choices, you have the OBLIGATION to vote.  If you are eligible to vote and don't register, don't complain about our country.  Don't even bother to voice an opinion.  If you don't take the time to register to have your opinion count, then you don't GET an opinion.

Bring your relatives to live with you.  You can petition for specific family members to recieve their permanent or legal residence here.  Your mother, father, siblings or spouse.  They have to qualify, but if they want to be legal, and pay taxes, great.  We need more people who really want to live here and still think the American Dream can be a reality (even though most of us think Santa Claus is more real than the American Dream).

Receive Social Security  If the program (still) exists, and they've paid into it, they should get what they put in.  I wouldn't count on it though as it's already bankrupt.

Travel at Will  This means you are a REPRESENTATIVE of the United States.  Act as you want to be remembered.  If you want to be remembered as the snobby American brat that demanded exotic foods and left cruddy tips, then so be it.  But don't expect that your former countrymen (or women) will respect you for changing your allegiance.  And don't expect they'll be grateful for the materialistic American stuff you bring with you.   This doesn't mean you get to go to other countries and bomb their people who don't agree with you.  Unless you're in our military and then we'll pay you to do it.  And then deny we even know who you are and refuse to cover your medical costs for the rest of your life. 

Responsibilities of citizens are (from http://resources.marshalladulteducation.org/citizenship.htm):
  • Serving Jury Duty
  • Respecting Others
  • Supporting Education and Schools
  • Giving back to your community
  • Paying Taxes
By converse reasoning, if you are NOT an American Citizen, you should not be able to claim ANY of the benefits listed above.  And, I believe you should receive none of the unwritten benefits of
  • free education (public schools)
  • medical coverage & benefits (unless you pay for your own)
  • property ownership
  • student loans (or loans in any form held by banks on American soil)
  • traveling from country to country without inspection and appropriate, correct documentation
  • Gun ownership or anything allowed by 2nd Amendment rights (if you aren't a citizen, the amendments and therefore the Constitution are not yours)
  • equality or justice according to the laws of this country
  • freedom from deportation
If you do not pay taxes, you are not entitled to live like you do.  And this means those of you who ARE citizens and don't pay taxes, too.  I don't always agree how my tax dollars are spent.  But my responsibility as a citizen demand that I pay them as they are due and vote to change what I do not like.  Just because you don't like to do laundry, doesn't mean it doesn't need to be done.

 Yes, (as you are thinking, what a hateful person I am) I have friends that this will affect negatively.  I have a friend in the process of moving back to Mexico to join her husband as he is not able to receive his legal American Citizenship (she is an American Citizen).  I have a friend who has tried, unsuccessfully for years to gain her legal citizenship status.  Her daughter was born here; her husband has received his legal status.  For reasons, unknown to us (or her), her claims have been denied.  However, both of these friends have accepted the consequences of the rulings of citizenship.  Neither one of them is attempting to live here illegally.  They have used and, continue to use the legal form of complaint and process filings for their cases.  They are useful in their communities and in their jobs.  The participate in churches, and other community and neighborhood services.  Both of them are dedicated to this country in ways that many actual legal citizens of this country are not committed.

As a citizen, would you actually, in front of others, swear your allegiance using the words above and mean them?  Do you understand what the freedoms you have truly mean?  What they have cost others?  What they continue to cost today?  Do you comprehend that countries all over the world do not have the smallest portion of the freedoms we profess to have, yet willingly give away at the tiniest hint of struggle?

6 comments:

katybops said...

America allows several countries to retain dual citizenship when applying for American citizenship. None of the above "rules" make sense if they must be taken absolutely literally if this is the case because clearly if you are able to maintain your citizenship to elsewhere, you are not 100% allied to either place.. or maybe you are just happy to be allowed to live and work / contribute to either.

FYI as a British citizen who doesn't pay in to British taxes I am no longer covered for free healthcare or state pensions there or any other benefits.

As a non-American resident I am not covered for any state hand-outs of any kind here.

Basically I'm in no-mans land.

The other day when googling I saw, but didn't pursue, that the UK requires a similar oath to people applying for citizenship there. I'm sure most countries do. Then again, they don't make us say them daily just to be sure we don't forget.

Obviously citizenship affects me and is an important issue for me. I'm a little confused but are you saying above that as a non-citizenship visa holder my kids shouldn't be allowed in school even though we pay taxes?

I do think that a lot of what you say is part of how some Americans opinion of how America is perceived across the world. This ultimate land of freedom. And yet nowhere that I have been, which is many countries across Europe, has anyone ever said anything about America being better than what they have. Sure there are 3rd world countries for whom anything would be better than what they have. There are middle eastern countries who think what America has is just awful. There are Eastern European countries trying to find their way in the world post communism and there are so many different cultures and lands out there... and nobody is going "oooooh America, the promised land". It seems only Americans think that!

I personally feel that in the year 2010 where companies and families have gone global, if you are a person who can contribute to a new country, a new society, and you meet their qualification requirements to go there, then why not? It is awesome to be allowed to come and live here, Canada, wherever - many of my home friends would not qualify even if they wanted to (which they wouldn't, in the main), but we do and we're happy because we're the type of people who enjoy travelling and experiencing different places. We're not sponging from society, we are actively contributing to it. We see it as a privilege.

I don't quite understand why anyone who isn't directly affected by it would judge anyone else going through the process though. Are there gangs of 'you don't belong here' people standing outside the govt buildings when you go to say your oath on citizenship day? Trying to gage just how seriously you're taking that oath? Wondering if you quivvered your knees a bit when asked to go to war or whatever the other things were? THATS IT - YOU DIDNT MEAN IT - GET OUT!! :)

katybops said...

Ah here is the UK pledge

Oath of allegiance

I (name) swear by Almighty God that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Affirmation of allegiance

I (name) do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her Heirs and Successors, according to law.

Pledge

I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen.

katybops said...

(which, when born there, nobody has to make)

katybops said...

And here's the dual thing from the US State Dept web site.


Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country.

They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country.

Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.

Paige Norman said...

I'm sorry you think this is about you and your family, it's not. You got tired of *hearing* my ranting on FB, so I figured I could say what I wanted on my blog.

For the record; I DO know other people who weren't born in this country (in addition to the two mentioned above). I know legals that weren't born here that went through process. I know people who are in process of being legal. I ALSO know several people who work under the table so they don't have to claim all their income so they can continue to receive all the free stuff the state and feds give to them for having under a certain income level.

I don't care if people from other countries come here to live. I only ask that they participate in the economy and follow our laws. I don't care if they're muslim or jewish or buddhist or asian or european or latino. Just don't expect a free ride. Those of us that work for a living are paying their way. I already have kids i pay for -- i don't need to support the whole country too.

katybops said...

I'm sorry again if I offended. I am/was just concerned that your posts had taken on a very different aggressive tone of late and had far overshadowed your normal fun stuff. A lot of people had remarked that they were concerned and had hidden you from their feeds! Obviously it's your right to post whatever rant you want wherever you want - and I like you which is why I'm drawn to reading even if sometimes it makes me want to run away x

I'm also having a rough time so Im' sorry if I took it out on you.