Thursday, March 18, 2010

Retail, Panhandling and the Economy

So, today I'm taking one of *my* kids to a doctor appointment and I drive by this road that frequently has panhandlers.  It's at the end of a freeway offramp -- the corner is level and not very far from some stores, banks, commerce.  It's also a fairly major intersection where there are LOTS and lots of cars.

My children (ages 11, 16, 27 & 31) have long been subjected to my diatribes about panhandling.  Most people that know me know that I am completely, absolutely, 100% against panhandling in any form.  I think it's legitimized thievery.  Panhandling today is nothing like "begging" was in historical times; say Biblical times.  My experience with panhandlers is that many (if not all) of them could be working somewhere -- several somewheres -- but it's *easier* to just ask for money instead of earn it.  Yes, I realize they sit in the rain and the snow and the sleet and the hail and the sun and the wind...and that they probably couldn't support themselves by working at McDonalds.  I also realize that many of them have mental illness, trauma, or other life issues they are dealing with.  Boo Hoo.

I have worked three part-time jobs while caring for two at-home children while my husband worked full-time to make ends meet.  I have never been without a job unless I didn't want one.  I have worked as a baby sitter, cashier, receptionist, production assistant, waitress, secretary, office manager, store clerk, retail/returns and nanny.  I have two years of college education and completed High School with a diploma.  I do not possess a Master's, Bachelor's or Doctorate degree, or anything close to it.  I have never, ever, ever, had to panhandle.

I try to be gracious when I explain to my children about panhandling.  My children know I never, ever, ever give money to panhandlers.  I will donate to food banks, give clothing and toys to charity services, write checks to organizations, but I never give money to anyone asking on the side of the road.  "Get a Job" I usually say (in the car, not to them directly as I don't really want to be mean or unkind).  "I wonder how desperate you have to be to beg all day at the side of a road."  Sometimes, we have quite a conversation about the signage, fashion sense or "partners" of the panhandlers.  Although the dog is a nice touch, making your child(ren) sit all day with you is quite close to abusive.

I have a few favorites:  "Pregnant and Homeless, Please help"  or "Need money to buy Dog Food"  or "Lost job, have xx children, need money for food".  Actually, that pretty much sums them all up.

So, today, as i'm driving to the doctor appointment, at this corner where there are always panhandlers, I stop at the red light behind all the other cars.  A man is walking along the side holding a sign that says "Buy a Rose, $3.00   Veteran   Please Help"   In his hand he is holding three individually wrapped roses.  At the corner is a bucket (presumably with water) holding more individually wrapped roses in a variety of colors.  One of *my* kids (because even my nanny kids know me pretty well), reads the sign and says "Is he selling those roses?".  I answer yes, and we begin to discuss the difference between panhandling and what this man is doing.

He is offering something in return.  He has taken the time to purchase roses somewhere, put them in a bucket with water and sell them to people in exchange for money.  He is not asking for a free hand out.  He is not asking for me to give him money in exchange for the possibility that he really has xxx children and needs the money for food. He is relatively cleanly dressed, smiling and walking his path with his roses; his wares in his hand.

I wish I had cash with me today.  I rarely carry it with me.  When I do have cash, it is usually consumed by my husband wanting to purchase coffee on his way to work (because he's already spent his "allowance").  Or one of the kids needs money for a field trip lunch or popcorn day.  Or, there happen to be Girl Scouts selling cookies ANYWHERE.  Today, as I sat and waited for the light to turn green, I pulled my purse off the passenger seat, opened up the pocket where I keep cash (when I have it) and dug through that pocket.  Twice.

I can't guarantee this man would actually spend the money on food.  He might not really be a veteran.  He might not be homeless.  He probably won't report his income to the IRS.  But he took the time to offer a service in return for monetary reimbursement.  He's not just standing out there asking strangers to throw money at him. 

He is a business man.

No comments: