Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Freedom vs. Separation

I didn't start the blog to voice my political or religious opinions solely; however as I am opinionated about religion, politics, children and lots of other things, I will probably, more frequently than not, babble on about any of them.  The good thing about venting here is that it will probably keep me off Face Book more and many of my friends will be happy about that.  :)

So, in this country, our America, we have Freedom of Religion and the Separation of Church and State.  I believe these are two individual things in one amendment that define the basis of ideals in our country; however individual doesn't mean they don't occasionally meld.

The amendement to the Constitution called "Freedom of Religion" reads "Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1

To me, this means that the government, the "state" can neither deny nor demand what religion -- or lack of religion -- I (or you) choose.  It also means they can't tell me my religion is less or more correct, acceptable or valid than any other religion.  Conversely, it also means you don't have to believe in any religion, attend a specific denomination or building, wear certain  symbols or represent any specific religion unless you desire to

What confuses me about how our country seems to view this amendment, is that instead of supporting all religions; certain religions are more likely to receive censure or criticism than others for merely existing in society. 

For example (which certainly may not be the case everywhere but this is my blog), why is it now unacceptable to have a Christmas Tree, Christmas Play, Nativity scene, or religious songs of the December holiday variety in public schools?  And what happened to "Christmas Break"?  This has now been replaced with the word "holiday" so it doesn't offend other religions.  Okay, no offense meant, but is it then necessary to take out ALL mention of "Christmas" but replace it with Hannukah, Kwanzaa and other winter-type-holiday traditions in exclusion of CHRISTMAS?   And what's with the whole "Happy Holidays" thing?  I confess I say it often, although usually as an inclusive of the Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hannukah/New Year's period of the year.  It's not some rebellious streak of mine showing through to thumb my nose at all my non-religious friends.  It's like saying "Hello, How are you?"  or "See you again soon." 

Don't get me wrong.  I want my children to learn about other relgions, traditions, cultures, people.  But my feeling is that it's okay for them to learn about any other relgions, traditions, cultures, people EXCEPT Christianity.  My friend says this is because it's assumed that most people are Christian and therefore that teaching would be going on at home.  I guess that depends on how you define Christianity.  But quite a few people that I know don't consider themselves religious, let alone Christian.  They don't seem to be upset in having their child taught Judaism, Buddhism, Muslim -- but bristle at the mere thought of Christianity being taught in a public school.  I don't understand the difference.

I don't understand the evil in posting the Ten Commandments.  Anywhere.  What is it about those 10 orders that just get under people's skin and make them want to smash marble?  Isn't is a good thing to remind people not to kill, lie, cheat, steal, covet, and to remind them to honor their parents and keep their marriages intact?  I'm sure its evil because it comes from the Christian Bible.  No one would complain if we posted the "10 suggestions" from the Koran, the Septuagint or the Book of Mormon.

And, is it such a stretch to teach the theory of creation alongside the theory of evolution?  I personally don't believe Creation is a theory, but I also don't believe I descended now or ever from monkeys.  My children act like monkeys sometimes, but they also act like cats, dogs and sometimes horses.  That doesn't make them a descendent. 
But I digress.  My original purpose was to show you the separateness yet cohesiveness of these two ideas.  If we are free to believe as we want, and the government can't tell us which of us is right or wrong, doesn't that mean that My God, My religion, My Church, My theory is as valid as yours?  Shouldn't that mean that my children have the right to learn about ALL religions -- not just the ones that 'don't offend anyone'?  Wouldn't you think more people would be upset about the discrimination that occurs when one religion is reduced to a footnote, while others are highlighted as the conventional and more acceptable choice? 

Isn't my freedom of religion being quashed by the government in denying that my religion, my beliefs, my ideals are just as acceptable as others?

1 comment:

Into The Fire said...

That was the intent of separation of church and state, yes.

Somewhere along the way the intent was perverted (hey, look, there's that word again) to mean "Any religion but Christianity is acceptable".