Sunday, March 21, 2010

Impeach or not to Impeach?

A lot of electronic traffic today regarding impeaching President Obama.  I admit it makes one feel better to talk about it.  But the reality is that if Obama is impeached, the next in line is Joe Biden.  Then it's Nancy Pelosi, Robert Byrd and then Hillary Clinton.  The Line of Succession is mentioned in the Constitution in two places.  I don't think any of the choices offered after Obama are better than the man himself.  In fact, they would quite literally be worse.

Although I am unhappy with our current president and his apparent lack of experience, inability to be honest about his promises and semi-meglomaniacal tendencies, I don't think impeaching him is legal nor realistic.  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here.  I'm supposed to pray for those in authority (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Okay, so what do I pray?  I could pray that he fail, or die or disappear (an alien abduction might not be a bad thing).  I could pray that all the people "blinded" by their selfishness and ignorance would see the light.  I could pray that all my liberal friends and relatives would see the error of their ways (they might be praying that I see the error in mine). 
 
So, I pray what I always pray when I don't know what exactly to pray:  for wisdom.  Wisdom on my part to see through all the hype and hysterics -- on both sides.  Wisdom for our local leaders to vote what is right and make decisions for the benefit of the people, not themselves.  Wisdom for our national leaders to uphold our consitution through their daily decisions.  Wisdom for the President to make decisions that are in God's design (even if he doesn't know it).
 
I believe God has a plan for our country and our world.  And, I believe that even if I am frightened or paranoid or uncertain or angry about the world that is being created around me, I need to stand in the fact that God has this plan and that it will come to pass no matter what.  And, since I believe that this plan included Obama, I need to pray even more for the wisdom to make it through these days, weeks, months, years until God comes back to take his people home.

No comments: