Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review and A-new


I made some “resolutions” – I called them Personal goals for 2012.  I thought I’d review them and see how well I did before I make my resolutions for 2013.

  • ·Read the Bible in a year.


Well, I started this and kept up pretty well through April.  And then, well, I completely let it go until about October again. 
  • Complete one of the books I’m writing.  I’m not sure I’ll be willing to try to get it published in this year, but that can be 2013’s goal (if the Mayan’s are wrong).

I’ve re-written several sections of this book about 10 times.  I’m still struggling with who my characters are and as they keep changing their personalities, it makes for a frustrating attempt to finish.
  • Scan family/historical photos so they’re saved digitally.  I’d also like to get our family videos transferred to DVD for safekeeping.

This will be a long-term goal; and I did make some progress in it, but not any that was noticeable.  Since I have about a bazillion photos, it will never likely be completely finished.
  • Lose 20 more pounds and keep it off.

I MADE THIS ONE!  I started the year at 218 and lost 20 pounds by December (11 months!).  My goal for December was to stay within 3 pounds of that weight during the holidays and I ended up the year at 200 pounds; so I’m VERY HAPPY about that.
  • Have our last credit card paid off.

Yeah, no. 
  • Take shooting lessons.

I did take shooting lessons and feel semi-comfortable in loading and reloading a handgun and shotgun.  At the shooting range I had pretty good aim and hit the target more often than not; but Trap shooting is not my forte.  That whole aiming thing really isn’t my thing. 
  •  Sell or give away some of the collected stuff (read: junk) and get it out of my life.

I sold some DVD sets and some crystal ornaments; donated a lot of things to charity and threw some things away as well.  This too will be an on-going project.
As for my 2013 goals; they’re really going to be personal this year.  Not PRIVATE, but personal. 

  • I want to lose another 10 pounds.  The goal weight is 188.
  • I want to start running.  The goal is I’d like to be able to jog/run our walk route (2.5 miles) at least 5 times over the course of the year.  My walking partner and I have done “poles” (intervals) once, and after we get past the bronchitis/pneumonia season, I think we’ll start up again. 
  • I’m going to start seeing a counselor again.  This isn’t really a “goal” or a resolution; but something I just need to do.  I’m struggling with a lot of anger and frustration and I don’t know how else to work through it.  What I’m doing now isn’t working.
  • More gun lessons and shooting practice.  Apply for a concealed carry permit.  Purchase a handgun.   (No, the gun isn’t because of the anger issues.)
  • Start being that person who says “I’m going to let someone else handle this.”  Stop being the peacemaker.  Stop offering assistance to a problem that isn’t mine.
  • Get rid of more of the clutter in my life.  Sell or give away the *valuable* items and throw away the stuff that really is just stuff.


Projects:

  • Scrapbook 2012 photos and memorabilia.  This is hard for me because I doubt my craft skills and 2nd-guess my “style”.  I need to just get it in a book and not try to make it a perfection/competition/showcase thing.
  • Scan photos; convert movies to DVD (see 2012).
I hope your 2013 is filled with accomplishments and progress.

No comments: