Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Through My Eyes Book Review


Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker

It’s a known fact that I profess not to like the memoir/autobiography genre much; but it’s becoming kind of passé as I’ve found several in the last year that I’ve really enjoyed (The Vow, Rob Lowe) and a few that I’ve not (Untied).  Maybe it’s that I’ve moved past the dislike and maybe it’s just that sometimes people’s lives are interesting no matter how long they’ve lived.

I like football and consider myself a “fan” but not a “fanatic”.  I’ll admit I can follow the game, know some of the strategy; the details, plays and statistics are not the part of the game that I enjoy, let alone pay attention to.  I don’t remember from year to year who won the Super Bowl; the college Bowl games, the Heisman trophies or how many yards so and so rushed or passed to pass a record.  I simply enjoy the game for the game itself:  the competition, battle between teams, fun to watch and vent my anxieties at and choosing who my favorites are.

I watch football (and moreover sports in general) because I like what I like and don’t what I don’t.  I have favorite players and teams and players and teams I can't stand – for a variety of reasons that I’ll neither try to explain or defend in this post.  But I’ll give you some examples.

I despise Michael Vick for everything he’s done in his personal life that shows me the true character of his professional life.  He had no compassion for creatures that were in his care and I have no compassion for him.  For this reason, I also despise the Philadelphia Eagles, Subway and Nike as they have encouraged his celebrity and diminished the horror of his crime by giving him money for being who he is.

I like Eli and Peyton Manning, Dave Craig and had a huge crush on Art Schlichter (Ohio State, Indianapolis).  Yeah, I like quarterbacks -- I didn’t say I had a perfect selection system, I just like what I like.  

I have a pretty big hate vote for Alex Rodriguez and Ken Griffey Jr.  I’ve “met” them both in person and was less than impressed with their character which, eventually, became evident to the world in a HUGE way. 

But, this isn’t a post about fan picks, fantasy sports teams, mended ways or 2nd chances, this is a book review; so I’ll get to it.

I love Tim Tebow.  Not in a crush kind of way where I think he’s cute (which he is) but because I think he is a fantastic role model for people of all ages.  He has a walk with God and a life that represents what our Christian Life should be; he’s the same in person that he is in private and he puts God and his family first before everything else.  I knew all of this before I read the book.  You can see it in his face, in his press conferences, on the sidelines, in his advertisements, in almost every (positive) media article that’s written about him.

And then I read the book.  It’s filled with references to God and family and discipline and service to others.  I don’t recommend you read the book if you find any of those things offensive or over the top.  He is very clear about his walk with God, his obligation to his family and his love of people:  Kids, coaches, siblings, teammates.  He has no problem listing his shortcomings, laughing at himself, pointing out his failures; he mentions on almost every page his understanding that God has his back, holds his hands, has his future all planned out.  Tim has no problem understanding and accepting that his “higher power” is in control and that it’s okay if “Timmy” doesn’t have a clue how it’s going to all turn out. 

Sure, He’s only been out of college a couple of years; but he’s got a life store in those couple of decades that easily filled the pages of this book.  His parents were told to abort him, his mother prayed and prayed and successfully carried him to term.  He has four older siblings; all of them home-schooled and all of them happy and serving God.  He graduated from college with a 3.66 GPA and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Family, Youth and Community Services.  He has a charitable foundation named after him, volunteers his time in the Philippines at an orphanage and is not afraid to show his faith and Christianity everywhere he goes, even on the football field.

And, he talks about football and baseball and basketball and golf.  He writes about how his story is his ‘platform’, given to him by God and he’s just as happy to do whatever it is that God has in store for him (but he’d prefer it be football, or something to do with kids).  He talks in detail about his football games; the backyard plays with his brothers, High School, College and his first year with the Denver Broncos.  He doesn’t gloss over his mistakes and he takes responsibility for them too; he expects nothing from his teammates that he doesn’t do himself.    He talks about the Eye Black Bible verses, college selection process, the crazy (and aggressive) games against some teams (whose fans should really get a grip on reality!), and playing through injuries (even though he admits and admonishes that NO ONE should ever do that).

This is a young man that has a lot of life yet to experience and I have no doubt that God will bless him no matter what he does, regardless of whether he’s a football player or just a player in the daily grind of life.

It was a great book and I highly recommend it to everyone:  football fans, Christians, those searching for God and anyone that wants proof that God has a plan for everyone’s life.

No comments: