Monday, November 21, 2011

Tasting the Birthday (or Iron Chef Meets Three Sheets)



WARNING:  This is a post about alcohol and drinking.  To my readers that find alcohol consumption concerning or offensive, please don’t read this post.  


This last weekend was my husband’s birthday; not quite a “big” one, but there are enough candles on the cake to make sure the Fire Department is around if we light them all.  It was going to be a quiet weekend, maybe a dinner out with the boys and his gifts.

Our cousin (CD) thought up a great way to help him celebrate and brought all the supplies necessary to make it a special event.  Here’s what you need:

6 mini-bottles of whiskey
6 high-ball or shot glasses
Index cards
Sharpie
Camera
(I recommend a glass of water for each contestant, but that’s up to you).

 CD was the presiding “judge” and the three contestants were his wife (KD), the Birthday Boy (BB), and I.  We sat at the table, each with a numbered card and a pen.  We had to taste each of the selections and decide the name, country of origin, age and type of whisky (single or blend) – harder to do that it might seem; nearly impossible for someone like me (and KD) who are NOT whiskey drinkers.  I’m a Merlot person myself; Tequila if I need to be really daring.  Living on the envelope for me is a Black ‘N Tan at our local pub.



Here are some photos of the tasting part

 

And photos of the finished, completed cards after our taste-test


 < Mine


                            BB>



And photos of the winner’s card (my cousin KD). 


She got #1 and #6 right; BB got one right and, well, whiskey is not my game.

A few shots of the bottles and cards







CD and BB enjoying the remainders of the taste testing (KD and I graciously bowed out).










Because CD’s a great guy, he made us girls a special drink called a “Buttery Nipple”.  Someday I’ll do a post on the sexually charged names of bar drinks and why they’re so embarrassing to say that you have to actually be drunk to order them with a straight face. 

A “Buttery Nipple” is Irish Cream liqueur and Butterscotch Schnapps topped with whipped cream.  In our case, Caramel Whipped cream.  Oh Dear!  I'm not sure I want to know how this one was named...




We ended the evening with grilled steaks, chicken, mashed potatoes and cheesy bread; then finished it off with cheesecake.

Party on Birthday Boy!

No comments: