Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Friday


So this morning I woke up with every intention of going back to bed.  It was the plan after all; a reward for another crazy week of kid watching and taxiing around.  No shower, not getting dressed, dropping off A at school (without getting out of the car) and crawling back into my warm bed; just a lazy morning in bed until about 10:30 when I’d get ready and go pick up my afternoon kid.

Instead I turned on the light and finished a book I’ve been reading Henry’s Sisters by Cathy Lamb.  The book started out slow and there are some VERY crazy people in this book but it kept me involved and about the last quarter of the book I started crying and pretty much cried for the remainder of the book.  It’s not a sad book, per se, but it’s a book about sad, crazy people figuring out that they’re not the only sad, crazy people in this world.  

Anyway, I finished the book – after being interrupted by the dog who I swear can smell toilet paper a mile away.  I had gotten up mid-tears to get some TP so I could blow my nose and wipe my face; the dog decides that NOW is a good time to jump on the bed for snuggle time, but not before he has to investigate the TP.  He tried to eat it.  So here I am crying, in bed, trying to keep the dog from eating the TP that I’ve blown my nose in and cried on and trying to finish a book.  

Dog finally stops trying to get the TP, settles down and I finish; sobbing, tears streaming down my face, sinuses completely stopped up (doesn’t help that they were draining from fall allergies either).  I’m awake now.  More awake than if I’d taken a shower or had a few cups of coffee.  So I untangle my feet from the now comfortable dog, pick up my bathrobe (I have to un-wedge it from the 50lb fur ball that is lying atop it) and walk to the bathroom.

And slam my little toe into the card table that acts as a dog deterrent to the cat room that’s in the hallway.  Then the card table falls ON MY FOOT.  

Happy Friday.  I should have just stayed in bed, but I have a list of things to do and now my sinuses are clear (thanks to the good cry and a hot shower), my caffeine levels are being replenished and my perspective on what is really important in life has been illuminated.

Life is not about the tables that fall on your feet; it’s about getting back up and doing what needs to be done no matter what has fallen on you.  And that having a good cry first thing in the morning isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

No comments: