Friday, November 8, 2013

Viva la Choices!

Apparently, there is something wrong with me. You see, I don’t like to have people make decisions for me that I can make all by myself.  I actually believe that I am responsible for the choices that I make and I’m willing to take the consequences (or rewards) for those choices.

Case in point:  Kraft makes this ‘poisonous’ decadence called “Macaroni & Cheese”.  It’s a blue cardboard box with elbow macaroni, powdered milk, powdered cheese and a list of preservatives and unnatural colors that make it look yummy on the plate.  It’s carb-loaded, sodium-laced heaven in a pulp enclosure.  I am able to eat an entire box of this luscious delicacy all by myself.  I have been known to make a box for lunch and increase the chances of death to my loved ones by adding hot dogs to the dish and feeding it to my children.  Horrors.

I have several recipes in my arsenal of homemade, hand-crafted, from-the-ground-up macaroni & cheese dishes.  They are delicious and healthy (ish) and worthy of serving to my family.  But they are not the box of carb-fake-cheese-dried-milk-heaven that Kraft provides for just a small convenience fee. 

I realize that the box macaroni & cheese is not healthy.  I comprehend it’s filled with preservatives and additives and unhealthy things that would kill me if I ate it every meal, every day for all of my life.  I’d probably turn orange and weigh over 300 pounds, but I’d likely die happy. 

Here’s what’s wrong with me.  I grasp all those concepts and I choose not to eat it every meal, every day.  I choose to make it a treat; a special fast meal that is tasty and quick and looks nice in the bowls.  It’s called ‘comfort food’ for a reason.

Second case in point:  The FDA is going to ban all trans-fat from our diets.  Apparently we’re not allowed to make decisions on our own health because trans-fats are a danger.  A poison.  A health risk. 

Funny, I don’t see the government banning alcohol or smoking.  According to the World Health Organization the “harmful use of alcohol results in 2.5 million deaths per year”.  The CDC states that “Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually” 

According to the site “World Life Expectancy” the top 15 causes of death are:





Also please note that the government wants to ban ownership of firearms, but other than “suicide” and “homicide” firearms aren’t even major factors of death.  Possibly “accidents” could fall under that category.

If the government is trying to protect us from all things unhealthy, then why not ban cars?  The “esteemed” Mayor Bloomberg attempted to ban, or at least curtail the consumption of sugary drinks like sodas and juices.  Apparently it’s not the vodka that kills you in a screwdriver, but the orange juice.  And heaven forbid that I treat myself to a gallon of cherry-Coke while consuming fat-drowned kernels of popped corn after I’ve thrown out a Jackson for a movie (which used to be two hours with cartoons and now is more like 45 minutes plus three hours of trailers).

I choose to eat these poisons at the risk of my own health but I eat it in moderation.  I take responsibility for my dangerous actions and live my life on the edge of sanity as I drive through that fast through lane and actually order French fries and chicken-parts coated with breading.  And, yes, I have been known to ‘super-size’ the whole thing.


We, the people have allowed ourselves to be enslaved to the political correctness and hyper-phobia of others who are “only interested in the well-being of all” while they steal our freedoms and turn us into mind-numbed sheep who only eat what we’re told, read what we’re allowed and watch what is deemed necessary.  Meanwhile I’m supposed to work and hand over most of my money to people who don’t work so that they can have phones and food and medical care, while eating the very food that I’m not allowed to eat with the money they’ve gotten from me.

Give my processed cheese pasta or give me death.  Because it should be MY CHOICE.

No comments: