Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Bird in the hand…


We always have very interesting conversations in my house; usually between my oldest son and myself.  He’s very quick-witted and loves a good pun, so the conversations usually become a sort-of competition about turns of phrases, puns or twists of words.

Yesterday, our conversation started innocently enough with turkey lunch meat.  He said “Mom, don’t you find it interesting that if you call someone a chicken or a turkey, you’re insulting them?”  I thought about that and after a few moments thought of a few of my own bird sayings.  I asked him how many things he could think of that had to do with birds/fowl and were insults, sayings or adjectives…

Some of what we came up with were:

Turkey (annoying)
Chicken (fearful)
Ostrich (avoiding things)
Eagle, birdie, albatross (golf terms)
Albatross around your neck
Bird-brained
Nest Egg
Goose and the golden egg
Feathered a nest (decorating)
Happy as a lark
Naked as a jaybird
Silly goose
As the crow flies
Wise owl
Birds and the bees
Birds of a feather…
Cock and bull story
Cooked goose
Eagle eye
Eat crow
Eats like a bird
Get your ducks in a row
Night owl
Ruffle feathers
Chicken with head cut off
Hen’s teeth
Watch like a hawk
Wild goose chase
Chick (women)
Giving someone the bird (the middle finger)
For the birds

Two hours later I think we’d come up with over 75 of bird-related expressions (idioms).  We added a few more over the next 6 hours or so.  It was funny and stimulating and amazing all at the same time.  I should have written them all down, but of course, I didn’t.

Some of my friends on Facebook (of COURSE I ASKED!) came up with Dodo Bird, old bat, crazy as a loon, Phoenix, lucky duck, flew the coop.


I found it amazing that we use bird in so many of our every day expressions (chicken scratch, sing like a bird) and that we just put all that together without realizing it.

I love my son and the way his mind works!  He’s definitely NOT a bird-brain or crazy as a loon! 

1 comment:

Bob Yoder said...

Very creative and entertaining! (You should get a lot less spam with the robot!)