Monday, November 26, 2012

So, I got this great idea from the Internet (that's probably a very scary statement to most of you)...

I decided that I was going to harvest the seeds from a tomato and save them for planting in the coming springs.  Pretty simple really.

1)  Harvest a tomato
2)  squish the seeds out
3)  put the seeds and pulp in a container with about an inch of water

4)  wait
5)  wash the seeds through a strainer to get rid of the pulp
6)  dry the seeds on a paper towel
7)  put the dried seeds in a labeled envelope
8)  Plant the seeds in the spring

So I started with a Black Russian Tomato


and made it successfully through steps #1-3.  Well, somewhere between #4 and life, I got distracted.  And well, I did manage to wash the seeds through a strainer once but then I got busy and put them back in water on the kitchen window.

That was about 6 weeks ago.

Um, yeah.

So, I'm back to step #5.  I can't wash them the 2nd time now because they've sprouted.  About 50 of them.

Black Russian seeds that have sprouted
I add a bit more water (I don't want to be accused of neglect or voluntary plant-slaughter) and ignore them for another week or two.
And then, another plan forms in my brain (again, you should be frightened).

I bring up the plant starter kits I bought several years ago.  I have to wash several years of dust and dryer lint off them (they are stored in an outdoor area where my dryer vent blows) and grab some leftover potting soil.

A bit of dirt in each cup, two or three sprouts (with roots and leaves intact) and then cover them up with a bit more dirt.





I decided to place them on my windowsill.  (this way I'm pretty sure the dog and the kids won't get into them, plus I'll be more likely to remember to water them).



I guess I'll have to wait and see if any (or all) of them actually do something.  Maybe I can baby them through the winter months and actually have plants to plant in my garden in the spring.

No comments: