Thursday, February 2, 2012

Freezing Rice

In my constant search to make dinner easier, I've been reading up on preparing meals ahead of time (it also helps in my dinner business!).

Today, I had a quieter day than usual, so I thought I'd cook some brown rice ahead of time and freeze it for later use.

I searched on the internet under "Freezing Rice" and found several links for information, I used "How to Freeze Cooked Rice".

For my prep today, I used 4-1/2 cups brown rice (what I had left in my container), 8 + cups water and a toss of salt. 

For variety, you could use chicken stock instead of water and/or add frozen vegetables to the mix.

I cooked the rice according to directions -- it took a bit longer as the quantity was larger (I don't have a rice cooker).  I brought the water, rice and salt to a boil and then simmered on low heat for 15 minutes, covered (yes I set a timer).  After 15 minutes, I stirred it and there was still about 1/2 inch of water (liquid) on top of the rice, so I set the timer for another 5 minutes -- still on low heat simmer.  At the end of the 2nd time, there was just a bit of liquid left at the bottom, but not much. 

I stirred again, and made up Quart Freezer Ziploc bags marked "Brown Rice 2 C Microwave 3 minutes".  (these instructions are from the website above).  One site said bag at room temperature, another said bag while warm so the moisture stays in the bag.

4-1/2 cups uncooked rice made 6- 2 Cup bags of cooked rice (12 cups).  I assumed 1/2 cup serving size, so 4 servings a bag.


The instructions say to open the Ziploc bag a bit when microwaving so the steam vents; and microwave 3 minutes.  The instructions used 1 C bags, so microwave times may vary a bit.

Next time I'll add some frozen peas or mixed vegetables in the bag before freezing (not cooked with the rice).

Enjoy!

No comments: