Friday, November 14, 2014

Baby it's cold outside

So, first of all, I should be cleaning my house.  But my mind is rebelling against this menial task, so I caught a few photos of how our cold and icy world looks.  No snow, but a chilly 27 degrees most mornings (the last 3) and a blistering high of 39 degrees.  Not complaining, not comparing war stories, just reporting the facts.

So I walked some recyclables out to the bins; this required a coat -- my first clue that it's cold outside because usually I'd just brave it out and quickly run to the bins and back.  On my way outside I noticed several water bowls we leave on the deck for the dogs frozen.  And, as I walked towards the stairs, I noticed that the water guns that have been left on the deck (even though I've asked them to be put away many, many times since summer departed) had some interesting ice formations.  And, so, because i'm avoiding housework and responsibilities, I grabbed my phone and took some photos.  I hope you enjoy them.


I love how the ground has texture during a freeze.
And dang it but those stupid weeds are still alive.


My Bouganvilla is still holding on,
although cold.  A bright spot of color.


One of the dog's water bowls
with a leaf frozen in the block.

The dog would rather lick at
this block of ice than drink out
of the bowl of fresh water inside.
Leaves and needles frozen in the kid's wheelbarrow.













The dump truck is iced over.





The water left in the bottom of the terra cotta pots.  I kept meaning to empty them
and put them away for the winter but...
This is how much rain we've had in
the last couple of weeks -- a Home
Depot bucket's worth!  And now it's
frozen solid with leftover fence debris.
This is my favorite because
it describes my life.  I've asked
the boys a bajillion times (approximately)
to put the water guns away.  And
they sat in the bucket (again Home Depot) all
through the downpours and the windstorms
and now through the ice.  

Someone took the time to lift the
guns out enough to see the ice,
but then left them in the bucket to
form a 2nd layer of ice.

No comments: