Friday, July 26, 2013

Beach musings ("Four Days at the Beach")

I don’t know how people make a living here.

Internet coverage is spotty; especially when overcast.  I’m not sure I could make it very long without that outside world connection.

We discovered the “secret” to the Mexican Mocha that’s so delicious here at the beach.  I may be tempted to share it with others; but then again, maybe not. 

Walking the beach has been beautiful.  Tonight we found a perfect shell among all the broken and eaten crabs. 

Pelicans are huge.  I wonder what they eat (I’d look it up but there’s limited Internet).

I’ve stayed in all three rentals at this location and I have to say my favorite is the upstairs unit.  Hearing the sound of the waves from the deck is so peaceful. 

We locked ourselves out of our unit – the lock wouldn’t lock and the latch wouldn’t latch, so we finally gave up taking our key.  And then, it latched and locked and we couldn’t get in.  Good thing the owners are on-site and could get us in with an extra key. 

You know you’re a mom when the only sunscreen left is kids 60 SPF sunscreen lotion (because the older children have taken all the spray-on sports sunscreen).

Best $3 event EVER!  We took a 2+ hour canoe/kayak tour along the waterways around Astoria.  We left from Natul Landing, near Fort Clatsop and paddled around for over two hours with a guided tour.  We learned some more about Lewis & Clark and saw some beautiful scenery.  No wildlife except a cormorant – which Jennifer was impressed I knew the name to.  No sun to speak of, but the weather wasn’t too chilly either.  I need to work on my steering skills, but we had a blast, didn’t have to swim and made it (and burned over 500 calories to boot!)

Yes, we really did buy Chinese food on Thursday night and eat it all three days.  The lady at “Chens” was a bit shocked when we ordered the to-go meal – it was reminiscent of Sandra Bullock in “Two Weeks Notice” ordering Chinese take-out.  We also had scrambled eggs, English muffins, smoothies and a really yummy salad.  Plus popcorn, nuts and don’t forget at least ONE Mexican Mocha every day.

I have great friends who appreciate me and are really smart about lots of things I’m not good at.  That’s what makes the world go around.


We had dinner out at “Lost Roo” our last night.  Our server was a lovely woman named “Nancy”.  She’s a single mother, working a full-time job, home-schooling her three children who doesn’t look a day over 35.  She has a 17 year old, a 12 year old and a 10 year old.  She had a fantastic attitude and outlook on life and I don’t know how she does it.  I want to keep her in my prayers for a very long time.

Movies, movies and books.  I finished a book (I brought 5 with me); purchased another at a used store AND brought my Kindle.  We watched 6 movies; laughed and giggled and ate popcorn.  Oh, and don’t forget the wine. 

I learned that in Texas, one should never go ANYWHERE without lipstick on; that women in Texas wear high-heeled cowboy boots, rhinestone jeans and “Handle Hair”. 

I learned that I tell myself way too much that “I’m not very smart” or “I’m not smart enough” and I have to stop that.  I am smart and I know lots of things; I just don’t always know everything or what other people know.

Sacajawea (or "Sacacawea")

Berry Tree at Lewis and Clark Visitor's Center, Astoria OR

Wondering if this is the same "Christ" family as my son-in-law


 It wasn’t long enough of a get-away, but it will have to do with limited funds and over-booked schedules.

No comments: