Friday, August 3, 2012


Every year we are given an opportunity to have our voice heard.  Every four years that voice needs to be even louder.

I believe it is every citizen’s duty and privilege to vote.  Voting is a duty because it’s the reason the Pilgrims and other people left England and other countries to come to a new land.  They wanted to be free of the rule of one person’s decisions about their lives.  They wanted a chance to make their own decisions and their own rules and their own mistakes.

Voting is a privilege because when this country began, many people were unable to vote:  Women, slaves and the uneducated were not at liberty to vote their views.  Voting is also a religious duty as believers are to attempt to keep our country morally and ethically strong and good based on our beliefs.

Does voting always “work”?  Is my voice always the prevalent one heard?  No.  But that is not a reason to silence my voice. 

Voting is difficult; it’s not meant to be simple.  Some people vote alphabetically, some logically, some by elimination and some throw darts and mark off a dot.  My mother always voted a straight Republican ticket.  If they had an “R” next to the name, she checked it on her ballot.  I take time and read all the statements – yes, even from the democrats and independent candidates.  I look at their supporters, what service agencies they volunteer at, their family and their religious affiliation (if they mention it). 

Sometimes it’s not a clear decision.  Sometimes, there are two people who both say they represent what I believe.  And when that happens, I just make the best, educated GUESS I can and mark my ballot.  Sometimes I’m wrong.  Most times I’m in the minority (read: my “guy” loses). 

Why should you vote?  Vote because you can; because you live in a country that allows you to vote; doesn’t badger you or threaten you if you vote the “wrong” way.  You aren’t afraid of being shot or hung or having your family injured because of your vote.  Vote because people for centuries have fought for the right to vote.

Vote because you want your voice to be heard.  

No comments: