Saturday, August 7, 2010

Scraps

I’m not much of a scrap-booker. I like the idea of it and have even managed to (mostly) complete one book and begin two others. I’m really more of a “photo-hoarder and junk-paper-collector”.

I have movie and concert tickets, entrance stubs, photos (both digital and paper), postcards, bags from souvenir shops, maps, and a host of other great things just waiting to magically place themselves in an organized fashion in a scrap-book. What gets in my way is the whole ‘craftiness’ of the tasks. I consider myself craft-challenged instead of craft-capable. I have moments of brilliance – unfortunately they’re while I’m driving or otherwise engaged and can’t get to the idea until hours, days or months later. By then, it’s gone. I get hung up on having it look fantastic. Not just ‘good’ or ‘nice’. Those kind of books that friends remark “wow, did you have that professionally done?” or “gee, look at how great that looks!”

I suppose I could lower my standards a bit and quit comparing my scrap skills to those of other more talented scrappers. After all, I do have some talents. I can cook, at the drop of a hat (and a quick trip to the grocery store) a meal for 6 people that will easily feed 12. I have hosted BBQ’s, Shrimp Boils and Cub Scout meetings for up to 60 people without much more than a few jitters and several loads of dishes. I have organized and managed a fund-raising auction for our private school, four years in a row, for profit. I chaired a Cub Scout pack of up to 75 scouts for 8 years with only a few sleepless nights and the gain of MANY grey hairs. I directed a day camp for 300 plus boys four years in a row (the same years almost concurrently with the auction chair position) without losing a scout or causing (much) injury to anyone [they’re boys – shooting bows and arrows and bb guns and learning about knives. It happens.] I nanny 5 children on a regular basis and manage to feed, change and entertain them while dragging them everywhere my kids need to go. I rarely if ever forget an appointment or meeting (however I frequently forget birthdays and I’m sorry). I’ve lived through the death of both my parents and my husband’s parents, two weddings, two grandchildren (so far) and four children (although the last two may seal the crate).

I wish I could put all that in a scrapbook and journal it for people to see. I have photos of all those things; but it’s difficult to capture the joy of watching someone eat craw-dads and shrimp from a table covered with corn and spices and newspaper; or the amazement and jubilation to be the winning bidder while supporting a school and having fun; and the tremendous pride at having completed a wood craft, shooting a bulls-eye (or near hit), making a didgeridoo or completing the obstacle course.

But I guess I’ll just have to keep trying to put my life in photos, ticket stubs, receipts and souvenirs in books and give up on impressing people with how great the book comes out. They’ll just have to attend an auction, join scouts or come over for dinner to find out where my talents really lie.

2 comments:

Into The Fire said...

Well, I hate scrapbooking. Not for the purpose it serves (which is lovely) but because I don't want to take the time to do it properly. Digital media is so much better for us lazy folk.

carriemomof5 said...

My biggest issue is deciding which photos to print. I used to print them all, when they were on regular film, but now it is all digital, so I take too many photos, and I have to pick which ones to print. I can't get past making the choice. :(