Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Service


 A short post about customer service.

It’s really no secret if anyone has been paying attention, that I’ve had issues with Microsoft for quite a while.  Everything from Hotmail to phone to PC and, most recently, OneDrive.  I’ve spent countless hours online, with knowledgeable friends, with tech-support and at the Microsoft “Store” attempting to resolve issues that have occurred.  My friends jokingly call it ‘karma’.  I call it poor customer service and lack of connection with actual, real-live humans who use the product.  I won’t belabor my irritation with Microsoft and their problems; instead, I’ll focus on what customer service SHOULD be.

A few years ago I was gifted with a used Kindle (Generation 3) as a friend was upgrading to a newer generation and sold my husband theirs.  I used it more than I expected to and downloaded quite a few books through the service; using a variety of “free e-book” sites including Book Bub and Kboards.

I keep my Kindle plugged in and charged next to my bed unless I’ve grabbed it and thrown it in my purse for the day.  That way when I find a free book to download, I’m within my wireless area and I’m not dumping my battery every day.

This last week I grabbed my Kindle and threw it in my purse as we had an evening function that would have some downtime where I could read a bit here and there while waiting for the event to begin.  I turned it on and nothing.  I re-tried a couple of times and still nothing.  Came home, plugged it back in, check the cords were connected and left it overnight.  The next day, still nothing so I looked online and tried to “hard-shut-down” as recommended on several sites.  No success.

A couple of days later, after looking on the Amazon site for more tips, I called Amazon for assistance.  Their tech support site has a button for “email” or “call” support.  You can have them “call right now” or in “5 minutes”.  They call RIGHT NOW!  Seriously!   Yes, it was a robo-dial, but after I picked up, I waited on hold for less than a minute and was connected with a live human.  She listened to my problem, asked what I had tried, and tried to offer more suggestions.  After no success, she said to plug the unit back in, wait an hour and if nothing happened then I’d need to replace the unit.  By the time I hung up from the call there was an email in my inbox with links to our call and links to the site where I could contact tech support again to get my replacement process started.

I waited the hour, still nothing so I selected the link in the email.  Again, they gave me the choice of “email” or “call” support.  You can have them “call right now” or in “5 minutes”.  And again, they called IMMEDIATELY!  Within 20 minutes I had an order placed for a newly refurbished Kindle Paperwhite unit for a discounted price, an email link for a return label for my old unit and an email link for the purchase receipt of the new unit.

Amazon shipped my new unit IMMEDIATELY (I got the tracking email within an hour) and received the actual shipment within 5 days (3 actual business days – I called on Friday and had the new unit on Tuesday via UPS).  My return shipping label is printed and ready to tape to an envelope with the old unit inside.

My NEW Kindle came in a sealed box with a cord.  I plugged it in, entered my wireless key and the Kindle automatically connected me to my Amazon (Prime) account, Facebook and all my books on file (242 in case you’re interested).  In under 10 minutes.  With no hassles, or issues.

AMAZON?  I’m a total fan.

Microsoft?  Catch up.

No comments: